Last Updated on
Influence of powerlifting activities on health
In recent years, such a sport as powerlifting has been actively gaining popularity. It is one of the effective means of developing physical qualities and strengthening the health of students, including students. The experimental training program developed by the author, aimed at improving the sportsmanship of beginner powerlifters (students of non-sports universities), is really useful for them, which is practically proved and described in this article.
There are a large number of sports directions and if you want to develop your muscles and strength, then information about powerlifting – what it is and how to do it correctly to achieve results will be useful and relevant. It is important to know the rules regarding effective training.
What is powerlifting?
For starters, you should pay attention to the translation, so “power” means power, and “lift” means to lift. Powerlifting is a power sport in which the athlete’s main task is to lift a lot of weight in the sum of three exercises. Powerlifting includes deadlift, bench press and squats with a barbell. It is important to indicate that the main difference between powerlifting and bodybuilding is that the body structure and appearance do not matter to the athlete.
Powerlifting – Standards
In this sport, international competitions are held, where athletes who are divided by weight categories take part. Powerlifting suggests that with equal amounts of triathlon, a victory will be assigned to an athlete with less weight. According to the rules of the International Federation, the following categories are distinguished by age:
- boys and girls – 12-18 years old;
- juniors and juniors – 19-23 years old;
- adults – 23 years or more;
- open age category – 13 years and older.
Powerlifting – Women
Among the fair sex, this direction in sports is not as popular as among men. This may be due to common myths, for example, many think that the female body after training will become masculine, but this is impossible due to the inability to produce the necessary amount of testosterone . Another lie – female powerlifting is harmful to reproductive function . If you deal with the rules and under the supervision of specialists, then you can not be afraid of this problem.
When figuring out powerlifting – what is it for women, it is important to indicate that with regular exercises you can forget about the graceful waist and female forms, since frequent work with a lot of weight leads to the fact that a person not only develops his strength, but also builds up muscle mass and changes externally. In addition, during professional occupations, high-calorie nutrition is of great importance, which also affects the figure.
Powerlifting – Men
In the gyms you can see many men working on their body with a lot of weight, but only a few of them are considered real powerlifters. Many people confuse classic powerlifting with bodybuilding, so it will be interesting to consider the main differences:
- In the first case, the goal is to increase strength indicators, and in the second, the increase in muscle mass, taking into account aesthetic proportions.
- In powerlifting, it is unimportant to perform the exercises perfectly, since the goal is to use the maximum muscle for weight lifting, but in bodybuilding the technique should be either clean or with easy cheating.
- It is worth mentioning another difference – the complex includes basic exercises from powerlifting and auxiliary exercises, but in bodybuilding basic and isolating exercises are used .
Powerlifting – benefits and harms
With regular and proper training, you can expect to receive the following benefits: endurance and strength indicators increase, muscles, bones and tendons are strengthened, and the cardiovascular system improves. Understanding powerlifting – what it is and what benefits this sports direction has for health, it is worth noting that the training has a positive effect on the hormonal system and as a result, you can get an excellent physical shape. It is recommended to create an individual training program.
Powerlifting can be harmful if you are not physically fit, use a lot of weight and do exercises incorrectly. Beginners are advised to work with a trainer to create a suitable program. If the exercises are performed incorrectly, the risk of problems in the functioning of the cardiovascular system and serious injuries to the ligaments, muscles, tendons and joints is increased. In addition, when lifting a large weight, displacement of the discs and the appearance of hernias are possible.
Where to start powerlifting?
There are several features of effective training that you need to consider in order to begin to develop and improve the result:
- For one training session, you cannot work out more than 2-3 muscle groups, and it is impractical to use more than three exercises for each of them.
- Powerlifting involves gradually increasing the maximum load. It is important to carry out such a number of approaches so that you can save the technique, pace, number of repetitions and weight.
- In training, great attention should be paid to the development of auxiliary and stabilizing muscles that take part in triathlon.
- Powerlifting rules include minimizing body fat and increasing muscle mass. It is important not to develop it one-sided, that is, you need to load all muscle groups at once.
Powerlifting – Exercises
It has already been mentioned that in this sport three main exercises are used:
- Squats with a barbell . This is the first exercise performed in competitions. Powerlifting for girls and for men is based on the same rules for performing squats. First, the bar is taken with a convenient grip, is removed from the racks and is located on the upper section of the trapezoid. The athlete moves away from the racks with his legs slightly wider than his shoulders and his back straightened. Squat depth should be slightly lower than the parallel to the floor, with the center of gravity on the heels. Lifting should be carried out with a flat back.
- Bench press . In powerlifting, this exercise is done with some details. Vulture athlete takes a wide or medium grip. The first option is more popular, because the greater the distance between the hands, the shorter the bar path. You should remove the bar by lifting the pelvis and keeping your arms straight. The speed of the press should be maximum, while lowering the projectile, you should reduce the shoulder blades and lower the shoulders. An important nuance – the legs should be as close as possible near the pelvis, and the benches touch only the buttocks. The more deflection in the back, the shorter the bar path.
- Deadlift . Powerlifting athletes are the last to perform this exercise during their performance. To take the starting position, the legs should be placed shoulder width apart or even further. Records are often set with the first option. The athlete leans with a straight back and takes the bar with a comfortable grip. Due to the straightening of the legs, a shell rises. The back should be straight all the time. When lifting the barbell, the arms should be straight and indifferent. The powerlifting technique takes into account that it will be possible to lower the projectile only after the knees are straightened and the shoulders are laid back.
Athletes are constantly working to improve their achievements, so new records are set regularly.
- In 2011, Donnie Thompson achieved a result of squats with a barbell of 573.8 kg, and a few months later, his record was broken by Jonas Rantanen, who defeated a load of 575 kg.
- Since powerlifting includes deadlift, we will also pay attention to records in this direction. In 2002, the Finnish athlete Ano Turtiainen set the first record, and he was able to perform an exercise with a weight of 400.5 kg. In 2010, the Icelandic powerlifter set a new bar, having mastered the weight of 460 kg.
- The last world bench press was set in 2013 by Tyneey Meeker, who was able to squeeze 488.5 kg.