Last Updated on
What elements this muscle group consists of, for which movements they are responsible. What exercises and in what quantity should be done.
One of the most problematic muscles for most athletes is the trapezoid. On the network you can hear many opinions about the complexity of its development and the lack of quality exercises. In fact, all the problems are from a lack of knowledge and experience. Below we will look at how to pump up the trapezoid, and what exercises are best for achieving goals today.
A bit about anatomy
Naturally, everyone dreams of quickly and correctly pumping the trapezius muscle. But here it is important to understand the features of its design and the main functional load. Everything is simple here. Trapezium is a muscle group located at the very top of our back. Its feature is the interconnection of the cervical muscles and the deltoid muscle group with the formation of a triangular shape.
The trapezius muscle itself consists of three elements:
- top. Its task is to raise the shoulder girdle and scapula;
- bottom – implements the opposite action (lowering);
- middle – helps move the shoulder blade to the side to the spine.
In order to pump this muscle efficiently, exercises should be done in all the directions mentioned above. As a result, it is necessary to diversify your training program, including approaches with different variations in it.
Exercises and Features
Now we’ll directly analyze how to pump up the trapezoid, and what exercises are best suited to solve this problem:
- Back shrugs on the uneven bars are one of the simplest and most effective exercises. With it, you can perfectly work out the muscle and set the desired relief. The main thing is to correctly implement each approach. Grasp the bars and lift the body until the arms are fully extended. Now, without bending the elbow joint, try to raise the body even higher due to the trapezoid. Lock this position for ten seconds. Then relax your muscles and pause a similar pause. Next – rise again. Such repetitions should be 8-10.
- Dumbbell traction (usually done with one hand). To achieve the result, it is important to do everything as correctly as possible. Stand on the right side of the bench and take the work tool in your hand. At the same time, make sure that the palm of your hand is facing your body. Stretch your stomach and make a slight tilt. The back should be parallel to the floor. Bend your knees slightly. With the other hand you need to rest against the bench so that the vertebrae and neck are in one line. Pull the arm with the dumbbell up until the fingers touch the side of the body. After that, gently lower the dumbbell and return to the original position. Repeat this exercise with dumbbells for each arm in turn.
- Barbell pull to chin area. If you ask an experienced athlete how to pump up a trapeze, he will definitely advise you to do these exercises. But here, as in the past case, technique is very important. To do the exercise correctly, and to pump the muscle well, follow the algorithm below:
- grab the bar with your upper grip. In this case, between the two palms keep the range near the width of the shoulders. Take a comfortable position. At the same time, the back should be straightened, the shoulder girdle should be straightened, and the chest part should be slightly protruded in the shape of a “wheel”. It is also necessary to make a small deflection in the lumbar region. Check the position of the hands – they need to be made straight at the elbows. Starting position – the bar is touching the hips;
- Now take a breath and, holding the air in your lungs, tighten the deltoid and trapezius muscles. Raise your elbow staves and pull them up. During movement, the bar must move exclusively vertically. The lower point is the hips, the upper is the chin;
- during the exercise, you can not bend over the bar and bend your back (this is fraught with injuries). The neck and body should be as even as possible. In this case, it is correct to keep the chin horizontal, and not press it against the body. In the upper position, the elbows should be high (above the shoulders), and the upper arm should be somewhere 30 degrees above the horizontal plane;
- when reaching the top position, exhale and stop for a few seconds. At the moment, it is important to strain the deltas and trapezoid even more. Slowly lower the bar to its original position. Maintain a smooth pace. Some athletes believe that the barbell is not very suitable for exercise, and it is better to do dumbbell lifts. Both that and other exercise allow to pump over a muscle group. You only need to choose the most suitable option.
- Shrugs with a barbell (position behind the back). The peculiarity of this exercise is a unique load on the trapezius muscles. But due to a slightly unnatural position, it must be performed with strict adherence to technology. The recommendations here are as follows:
- legs should be in shoulder-width apart position, and knee joints slightly bent. You won’t be able to take the bar yourself, so ask someone to deliver the projectile. The bar must be taken with the grip on top with the palms facing back. The distance between the hands should be wider than the shoulders;
- Now straighten and move your shoulders back a little while raising your chest. Retract the abdomen without bending the back and preserve the natural deflection of the vertebrae. In the starting position, the hands should be behind the back and be as straight as possible. The neck is located somewhere in the lower part of the gluteal muscles;
- look in front of you, begin to inhale and at the same time raise your shoulders to the highest point. When performing the exercise, bending your arms is prohibited – they should be straight the whole exercise. Movement is allowed only for the shoulders. The rest (legs, chest and back) also do not move;
- when reaching the top point, strain the trapezius muscles and hold the bar for a while to maximize muscle contraction.
The exercise described above can be done with dumbbells. The principle remains the same.
Knowing how to pump up the trapezoid, the achievement of the desired result will not be so far away. You can properly work out the muscle and avoid serious injuries.