What factors can interfere with effective pull-ups. Options for the exercise. Tips for training pull-ups.
It would seem that it can be difficult to pull up. Take the horizontal bar and stretch up. In fact, beginners either make gross mistakes, or refuse the horizontal bar due to ignorance of the fundamentals of technology. In fact, you can learn to pull up. The main thing is to know the causes of errors when pulling up and the rules for performing the exercise. Actually, this is exactly what will be discussed in our article.
To begin with, we will figure out what factors interfere with a normal pull up on the horizontal bar. There are several of them:
- Excess weight. The greater the mass, the more difficult it is for the muscles to lift the body. Naturally, it’s easier to cope with an athlete who weighs 70 kilograms than with a centner athlete. So if your weight exceeds the norm by 17-20 kilograms, it is better to postpone pulling up on the horizontal bar for the entire period of weight loss. Once the desired weight has been reached, it will be possible to start from scratch.
- Weak heart. We often forget that the heart muscle is our pump, which actively pumps blood to organs and muscle fibers. During the pull-up, the energy increases, the plasma begins to move faster through the vessels. If the blood does not have time to reach the capillaries, then you can feel the deterioration and even darkening in the eyes.
- Physical weakness. If you didn’t lift anything heavier than a glass or a fork from a school bench, then pulling up will have to be mastered from scratch. At the same time, there will definitely not be an easy walk.
- Weak extra muscles. We must not forget that working on the horizontal bar involves many different groups (both small and large). Moreover, the weakness of the auxiliary muscles will inevitably affect the overall effectiveness of the exercise. In this situation, muscle fibers will need to be brought to the desired state.
- Errors in execution technique. There is an opinion that pulling up on the horizontal bar does not at all imply following any technique. Often the whole process comes down to rocking the body, twitching on the bar and other errors when performing the exercise. In this situation, the whole body is connected to the work, and the main muscles almost do not receive the load.
- Lack of skills. Perhaps earlier you started to pull yourself up on the horizontal bar, but a long break did its insidious business. In the absence of practical skills, it is difficult to return to the correct technique. Moreover, the central nervous system begins to give “wrong” commands, and the muscles themselves work differently.
If you properly pull yourself on the horizontal bar, then the following groups are connected to the work – the upper body (sternum, back, shoulders), back (latissimus muscles), brachialis and flexor muscles of the arm.
What are the options?
Before starting exercises on the horizontal bar, study the possible techniques. There are several of them:
- direct grip to a greater extent will allow pumping the back and shoulders;
- the reverse is the ability to connect biceps.
The best option is a direct grip, because thanks to it, the maximum number of muscle groups is connected to work. An important point is the width of the grip. For example, the wider the arms from each other, the greater the load on the back. On the other hand, the study will not be carried out in full due to a decrease in the range of motion. If you use the reverse grip, it is advisable to lift the body as slowly as possible in order to preserve the integrity of the ligaments of the hands.
How to learn?
To learn how to pull up on the horizontal bar, proceed according to the following algorithm:
- Strengthen the muscle frame. If you start training from scratch, then you should pay more attention to the wide muscles of the back, biceps and the back group of deltoid muscles. In addition, workouts can be started with ordinary hang on the bar. At the initial stage, this will strengthen the grip and prepare your hands for new loads. At the same time, do not forget about the importance of a quality workout, which will allow you to warm up the main muscle groups well.
- Choose an alternative. As a preparatory exercise before pulling up on the horizontal bar, you can use graviton. If there is no special simulator in the hall, then you can ask your partner to support the waist while lifting the body to the bar. Of course, such a pull-up is only an imitation of a normal exercise, but it will strengthen the general muscles.
- Tighten as often as possible. The ideal option at the initial stage is to do it every day. If pulling up at the usual amplitude does not work, then you can do fewer repetitions, but with a maximum upper limit. At the same time, it is advisable to take new heights at each new lesson.
- Negative pull up. A good option – classes on the horizontal bar in the negative phase. The bottom line is that a stand is installed under the legs. Then you stand on it, grab the horizontal bar with your hands, bend your legs and go down to the very bottom. After the exercise is repeated. This approach allows you to strengthen the tendons and make your arms stronger.
- Australian type of pull-ups. This option is good for girls who find it difficult to complete the exercise as standard. The essence of pulling up is the location of the body at an angle of about 40-50 degrees. In this case, the horizontal bar should be at chest level. You can use the incline bench and Smith’s simulator. The main thing is to choose the right height.
- We work on the bars. You can learn to pull up from scratch with the help of ordinary bars. The exercise is simple. It is necessary to grasp the bars in such a way that the palms look inward. After that, the legs are thrown on the crossbar, the back and arms are straightened. Then pull up to the plane of the bars and fix the position in the upper position. The number of repetitions can be different – from 8 to 15 (depending on muscle development).
- Classes with an elastic band. For study, you can use a special gum – an auxiliary element. All that is required is to secure the rubber band to the bar and legs. While pulling up the elastic will help the body.
As you can see from the article, learning to pull up is easy. All that is required is to devote time to your physical preparation and follow the recommendations in the article.