Last Updated on
How dumbbells differ from other shells. What exercises with them on the chest can be performed and how to do it correctly.
Beautiful pectoral muscles are one of the main components of a sculpted and well-coordinated body. It remains only to properly pump this muscle group and choose effective exercises. What is necessary for success? Often, athletes claim that only dumbbells are enough to work out the muscles. There are several reasons for this:
- this shell has a low price, so it can be purchased even for home;
- training with dumbbells allows you to connect even small muscle stabilizers to work;
- There is an opportunity to diversify your workouts by adding different exercises to them.
Below we will look at how to pump up the pectoral muscles with dumbbells, what tips you need to follow, and also highlight a number of useful tips.
Tips for training dumbbell muscles and the features of such a workout
When working with dumbbells, you need to adhere to a number of recommendations:
- First the technique, then the big weights. For those who are new to exercises for pumping pectoral muscles with dumbbells, at first it will not be easy to catch the correct trajectory of the shells. Unlike the barbell, there is no bar-lock – stabilizer muscles are included in the work, so it takes time to work out the technique.
- The pectoral muscles are large, so training diversity is required to build them. Be sure to perform various exercises, from different angles.
- Muscles grow in the kitchen and in bed. Heavy training gives impetus to muscle growth, but the latter increases due to proper nutrition and recovery. Until the breasts have recovered, it is pointless to reload them.
- No need to focus on the chest to the detriment of the back and legs. A weak back with strong pectorals is an almost guaranteed stoop, and leg training gives not only balanced volumes, but also more powerful bench presses.
Secrets to help
Whatever your task – to maintain muscle tone, increase muscle mass or eliminate fat, it is important to follow a few simple tips:
- make your workouts regular and try not to miss them. The optimal number of classes is 2-3 per week (no more). If you ask an experienced bodybuilder how to pump up the pectoral muscles with dumbbells, then he will certainly confirm this not common truth;
- make your workouts diverse. Do not load exclusively the sternum. The best option is to combine training of the pectoral muscles and, for example, the muscles of the back. Such a combination will allow you to slightly relieve the main group and increase the overall effectiveness of classes;
- choose the right weight. It is not worth the strong “grind.” The pectoral muscles should receive a good load. You need the weight that you can freely hold on outstretched arms. In this case, you do not need to be very zealous without preparation. For beginners, a small load is also suitable, for example, a dumbbell weighing up to five kilograms;
- make movements as smoothly as possible. When working with dumbbells, you do not need great sharpness – try to work in a concentrated manner to feel the muscle group being worked out. Do not forget about the importance of proper breathing (effort is made at the moment of inspiration);
- moderation. From the very beginning of training, try to find the best option for loads. For example, you can start with only one approach, doing 13-15 repetitions. After a while, the number of approaches can be raised to 2-3;
- optimize your diet. To succeed in creating the perfect terrain, you must eat right. Turn your attention to foods high in protein and complex carbohydrates. Try to avoid various “harmful” things like buns, sweets, trades and other sugar-containing products.
After highlighting the main recommendations, you can move on to the more serious part. In it, we will consider how to pump up the pectoral muscles with dumbbells, and with what exercises this is best done. Here the choice is wide enough:
- Warm up. Always start by warming up your muscle group. In no case do not train “for the cold”, because this is fraught with big problems in the form of sprains and other injuries. Pay most attention to in-place jumping, inclines and turns. For one or two minutes, swing your arms to one side and the other. In this case, the goal is not only to stretch the muscles, but also to start the cardiovascular system, the main processes in the body. As a rule, five minutes of warm-up is enough.
- Bench press on a horizontal bench. This is one of the most popular and effective exercises. If there is no bench, then you can replace it with a bed. But in the latter case, the effectiveness of the training, of course, will decrease.
The principle of implementation is simple. Take a position on the bench (here you must lie on your back) and raise the projectile above you. Keep your hands on 90 degrees to the floor. After, start lowering the dumbbells until they are at the sternum level. Pause and squeeze the shells until the arms are fully extended. When lifting, forget about the problems at home or at work – think exclusively about the work of the pectoral muscles.
- Bench on an incline bench. This method differs only in that the body does not lie directly, but at an angle. Depending on the position (up or down), you can give a load to different lobes of the chest. For example, if the head is located above the level of the pelvis, then the upper part of the pectoral muscles is connected to the case. In the opposite situation, when the exercise is done head down, the lower part is connected. In this case, do not stop only on any one group – alternate exercises.
If training is performed at home, then build an inclined bench will not work. Here, as an alternative, you can use push-ups with legs raised to any elevation. For example, if you need to work out the top, then on the rise (for example, on the same stool) you need to put your feet, and if the bottom, then your hands.
- Breeding to the sides. In this case, the starting position remains the same. As with bench presses, body position can be changed. The principle of operation is simple. Sit down on a bench and pick up two dumbbells. Place them on the thigh so that the palms “look” at each other. Next, take a horizontal position and raise your hands to the highest point. This is the starting position. Take air into the lungs and spread your arms with the load on the sides. All movements are carried out with the connection of the shoulder joint.
At the last stage, let out air and return your hands to their original position. Please note that the movement down and up should be made along an identical path. Pay attention to move your arms as much as possible in an arc. At the same time, dumbbells should not be below shoulder level.
- Pullover is another effective exercise for those people who are in search of the best option for pumping pectoral muscles. The main purpose is to work out the upper chest, that is, the area that is difficult to train. The advantage of the pullover is the ability to “open” the sternum, increase its volume. To do the exercise, you must have at least one dumbbell on hand. The principle is simple. Do not sit down at the bench and grab the dumbbell with both hands. Take such a position that your head is right at the edge. The projectile should be at chest level. Release air and get a dumbbell behind your head. After you feel the quality stress, return to the original.
Dumbbells are reliable assistants in the issue of working out the pectoral muscles. The only thing you should not dwell on is only one group – try to connect the whole body and, if possible, other shells and simulators.